Wednesday 22 April 2015


Community involvement has always been an integral part of The Maples.  The Maples Link would like to play a role in facilitating the school in reaching out to our community. The Milone Family is initiating a fundraising campaign for a local Orangeville boy and The Maples Link is proud to support this amazing cause.  Information regarding volunteer opportunities, fundraising initiatives, and the dates and times of these events will be posted on our parent participation sidebar on this blog.

Please read the attached letter from Ben Milone to understand more about this fundraising campaign…….

Logan McNab is an 11 year old boy just like me.  I came to know Logan 5 years ago when his mother was a nanny for my baby sister.  His mother talked a lot about Logan with me because we were the same age.   I was really surprised when I met him that he was in a wheelchair.  He has cerebral palsy.  With a lot of work from his family and therapists, we were excited to see him take his first steps when he was 9 years old using a walker.  Unfortunately, some kids with cerebral palsy get really tight muscles and ligaments.  Logan has this problem and so he now is unable to walk anymore.  There is a surgery that can help him with this condition however it is only offered in the United States.  OHIP has agreed to cover a small portion of it.  His family has to pay the remaining $100,000.

I am physically active any chance I can get.  I can't imagine not being able to walk and run and would take any chance I could if someone told me a surgery could get me on my feet again.

I would like to do my part to fundraise money to help Logan's family reach their goal so that he can have this surgery.

These are my ideas which I have discussed with Mr. Playford:

1.  Having our school donate the money collected from one of our casual days towards this cause.

2. Hosting a bake sale – on Friday May 22 at our school.  Please support by bringing a loonie or toonie to buy a delicious baked good.

3.  Host a bottle drive – Please ask your parents, families, neighbours, sports teams to give you their empty wine, beer and liquor bottles.  I will have a box set up in the front hall for you to put them in.  My parents will take them to the Beer Store for me and the refund will be put towards this fundraiser.

 

We can all do our small part to help Logan walk again.  Thank you for helping support this important cause. 

 

Ben Milone, Grade 5

P.S. Here is his website in case you need more information.  http://www.gofundme.com/Logans-Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment